Hatcher & Frey Orthodontics’ Teachers Wishlist program wrapped up 2021 with gift of $4,000 to local teachers
Hatcher & Frey Orthodontics believes that teachers change the world – and that’s one of the reasons their Teachers Wishlist program is so important to them.
In late 2021, Hatcher & Frey’s ‘Teachers Wishlist Program‘ awarded 20 Hampton Roads teachers each $200 Visa gift card to purchase school supplies that may not be traditionally covered for their classrooms. That’s a total of $4,000 going straight back into local schools.
“We had over 300 nominations from the community this year,” Nikki James Zellner, community relations director for Hatcher & Frey Orthodontics said. “This program will continue to grow and give back, and we’re looking for more ways to make a difference for the schools and educators in our community.”
When teachers were asked what they’d use their funds for – it ranged from virtual teaching tools to new books to STEM activity stations.
Hatcher Orthodontics was founded in Chesapeake in 1998 by Dr. Bill Hatcher, a former Great Bridge High School biology and chemistry teacher and multi-sport coach. And, with the help and addition of Dr. Scott Frey in 2018– has grown the practice into Hatcher & Frey Orthodontics, a three-location orthodontic business “changing lives, one smile at a time.”
The 2021 Teachers Wishlist winners, who are drawn randomly from nominations, were spread across multiple K-12 private and public schools throughout the region. The winners were:
- Haley Gardner – Chesapeake Bay Academy, middle school Math
- Deanna Hammon – Chittum Elementary, Kindergarten
- Lindsey Warnick – Sedgefield Elementary, Reading Interventionist K-5
- Paige Swaim – Western Branch Middle School, Special Education
- Carnieshia Simons – Great Bridge Primary, TA
- Matt Moyer – Hickory Middle School, 8th grade physical science
- Liana Nobre – Chesapeake Bay Academy, 5th grade
- Charlotte White – Western Branch Intermediate, 3rd – 5th grade art
- Deja Mercer – Westhaven Elementary School, 3rd grade reading and social studies
- Jared Bennett – Hugo Owens Middle School, 6th grade civics
- Kathy Cannon – Great Bridge High School, AP Calculus, SCA/Academic team sponsor
- Susan Lovelace – Hugo Owens Middle School, 6th grade science
- Jennifer Craft – Great Bridge High School, English
- Melissa Copeland – Jolliff Middle School, Reading
- Rachelle Viar – Chesapeake Bay Academy, K-12 Makerspace
- Devese Peace-Branch – Churchland Middle School, 8th grade physical science
- Amanda Steadele – Great Bridge High School, English, Journalism and Yearbook
- Sandra Wilfong – Western Branch Primary School, Technology integration
- Casey Thaxton-Jones – Chittum Elementary, 5th grade special education
- Laura Murphy – Crestwood Middle School, 6th grade english
Details for the 2022 Teachers Wishlist program will be released later in the year.